Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Words of Wisdom

I came across a reflection from the good people over at Sacred Space, that really hit me today. It is as follows:

In one of the gospel parables, the rich man is mulling over his treasures, and plans to build even bigger barns to store all his crops. He relishes his security: My soul, you have plenty of good things laid by for many years to come. Jesus reflects: A man’s life is not made secure by what he owns. As we grow quiet in prayer, our hearts can be invaded in the same way by false securities. In the measure that my heart is in past treasures, I am fossilised and dead, for life is only in the present. So to each of these past treasures I am grateful yet I say goodbye, explaining that, grateful though I am that it came into my life, it must move out, or my heart will never learn to love the present.

As I thought about this, I realized how true it is. It's only recently that I've been able to let go of the past, both good and bad, and I can see how much I've changed since doing so. I think that by looking at my past accomplishments too much, it tends to build up that in my mind THAT was the apex of what I can do. That's not true. We learn and grow constantly, but sometimes, we don't let ourselves grow because we are too focused on what we've already done.
Since I consciously put a lot of what I had accomplished behind me, I've grown beyond my wildest expectations, and I didn't even realize it was happening until just now. God really does have magnificent plans for each one of us. It's just that He doesn't show us the whole picture, and we get the pieces of the puzzle when we trust in Him.

I'm so happy for the present. It's the best present I've ever had.

--------------------oOo--------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home